Windows Live Messenger is being retired by Microsoft in early 2013. Messenger users will need to switch over to Skype to keep sending instant messages and making video calls to your Messenger contacts. Or you can just leave your Messenger contacts behind and start using Skype without connecting your Messenger account.
See how to move to Skype from Windows Live Messenger, below. Also, see answers and links for some common questions about switching to Skype, with the upcoming end of Windows Live Messenger.
Skype Features: For New Users Moving From Messenger
First, for Messenger users that are new to Skype, here are the some of the main features of Skype:
- Skype-to-Skype: Call other Skype users for free.
- Voice Calls: Call mobile phones and landline phones, get an online phone number, and make conference calls.
- Video Calls: Video chat with other Skype users, including group video calls and screen sharing.
- Messaging: Send instant messages, send files, send text messages (SMS).
Moving from Windows Live Messenger to Skype
Moving to Skype from Windows Live Messenger is very simple:
- Get the latest version of Skype.
- Sign in to Skype using your Windows Live Messenger account info.
- Skype will then ask if you are already using Skype. If you already have a Skype account that you want to link together with your Messenger account, then click “I have a Skype account”.
Otherwise, click “I’m new to Skype.”
- If you already have a Skype account, then you can now merge your Skype and Messenger accounts.
Now when you sign in to Skype with your Microsoft account details, you can access both your Windows Live Messenger and Skype contacts, from within Skype.
(Note that Messenger will still be available for mainland China users.)
Start Fresh With A New Skype Account
If you want to make a clean break from your Messenger account, then you can just sign up for a new free Skype account.
Related Support and FAQ’s: Skype and Windows Live Messenger
From the official Skype support pages, here are some FAQ’s for users moving from Windows Live Messenger to Skype.
- What happens to my contacts??
- What happens with my billing details?
- What happens with products I’ve purchased?
- What happens if I change my personal information?
- What happened when I updated?
- Why has the update crashed?
- Where’s my Messenger chat history?