The features, costs, and requirements of Skype for Windows Phone are detailed here, along with a list of Skype Certified phones compatible with this Skype app.
Features of Skype for Windows Phone
This first official version of Skype for Windows Phone allows you to make voice calls to mobile/landline phones, make video calls, and send instant messages. It also includes a few new features, that were not available in the previous beta version of the app.
The features available in Skype for Windows Phone are listed below, by category.
- Skype-to-Skype calling (calls to other people who are using Skype)
- Call mobiles and landlines
- Receive Skype calls
- Receive calls to Skype Online Numbers
- Call forwarding (you need to set this up on your computer)
- Participate in group conference calls (audio only)
Video Call Features
Make video calls to other Skype users for free. Participating in group video calls is not possible at this time.
- Skype video calling (portrait or landscape mode)
- Switch between the front and rear cameras (if your phone is equipped with a front camera), during a video call.
Instant Messaging Features
Send instant messages to other Skype users, for free.
- Instant messaging
- Group instant messaging
- During a call, send and receive instant messages (with individuals or groups)
- Invite friends to Skype and accept invitations
- Block/unblock contacts, and view blocked contacts
For more on how Skype works on a Windows Phone, watch this short video:
When using a mobile data connection (3G, 4G), additional data charges may apply.
Skype For Windows Phone App – Requirements
To use Skype for Windows Phone, you will need a Windows Phone with the following:
- Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) or above
- 512 MB of memory or above
- At least one camera for video calling
- A mobile data connection (3G, 4G) or a Wi-Fi network connection
Skype-to-Skype Calling Requirements
To call other people on Skype from the Windows Phone app, they will need to be using one of the following:
- Skype for Windows Phone app
- Skype 4.2 for Windows or above
- Skype 2.8 for Mac OS X or above
- Skype for Linux
- Skype 3.0 for iOS or above
- Skype 2.0 for Android or above
- Skype running on TVs
Also of note, when using Skype for Windows Phone, from Skype support:
Skype for Windows Phone does not run in the background. This means that you need to have Skype open to receive voice and video calls, and instant messages.
Skype Certified Windows Phones
Skype Certified Windows Phones have been tested and certified by Skype as being capable of providing top performance. The following Windows Phones are Skype Certified to work best with the Skype for Windows Phone app:
- Nokia Lumia 710
- Nokia Lumia 800
- Nokia Lumia 900
- HTC Titan
- HTC Radar
- Samsung Focus S
- Samsung Focus Flash
Get the Skype for Windows Phone App
The free official Skype for Windows Phone app is now available in the Windows Phone Marketplace.
It is offered in 18 languages: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, European Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, and Traditional Chinese.